Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Hello, good evening and welcome

 

I know what you’re thinking. What sort of idiot starts a miniatures blog in 2024? Hi there.

Mine is a familiar tale. As a kid, between the mid-80s and early-90s, I was obsessed with miniatures and RPGs. This just so happened to coincide with the Golden Age of Oldhammer, and it was glorious! As the 1990s rolled on I discovered sex and drugs and rock n’ roll (although possibly not in that order) and my little lead people were left behind. And yet the dream persisted: of an evil horde, resplendent with chaos spikey death bits, sweeping across a ping-pong table, driving their enemies before them. So, come the recent global pandemic, isolating at home and with time on my hands, I thought, ‘Sod it. I’m going to paint a goblin.’

From the 'Golden Age of chaos spikey death bits'


There were a couple of resources that really helped ease my way back into the hobby. One was the advice and support from the wonderful folk over at the Oldhammer Forum. The other was the wealth of brilliant miniatures blogs. I’ve been looking for a home to document my ongoing gaming projects that isn’t across disparate forum threads or a churn of social media feeds. A blog seemed like the natural option. Even if no one ever reads it I will derive great joy from the alphabetically ordered labels.

Anyway, that’s enough navel-gazing. Bring on the orcs!

Nick Lund wolf jockeys

These were all sculpted by Nick Lund in the 1980s. The orc on the far left and the second from the right are Chronicle N15 orc wolfriders and were distributed by Citadel back in the day. The other orcs and wolves are all from the Grenadier Fantasy Warriors range, which are happily still in production in the UK by Forlorn Hope Games. The Grenadier orcs are absolute units even by today’s standards. I think the Chronicle wolves look nicer, but having seen the prices they go for on eBay I decided  the Grenadier wolves are nice enough! I painted these a couple of years ago but had recently dug them out to try taking some photos with my newly acquired Jon Hodgson Backdrops Book from Handiwork Games. Anyway, hope you like them. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Love a good Oldhammer blog. Looking forwards to seeing what you publish on yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's very early days, but I suspect this blog will almost certainly feature more orcs! Some very wee Anglo-Saxons may also be putting in an appearance before too long. I'm still at the 'fiddling with the layout' stage (I'm not the most tech savvy person unfortunately). There's more coming just as soon as I've wrangled all my widgets.

      Delete